Friday, October 3, 2008

MILES AWAY

Hiya. Just thought I'd give you a write up of what's been going on around my end. So, as you know, I touched down in London Town last weekend, and already by this weekend I have two jobs. One's a part time bar job at The Alma and the other is a newsletter project at Spoonfed for which I will be Student Editor (paid in gig tickets, though). So, YAY! Good times a-rollin'.

I've done bar work before so it's standard rowdy fun, but I'm really excited about the editor position. I'm not sure what the entire project entails at this point and shouldn't tell you too much but it's going to be linked to my University. I'm going into their office some time next week to work out the specifics. SWEET!

I did my trial shift at the pub last night and they asked me to stay on 'til closing. It's a really quaint place on a nice street. I was dead serious in my last post about you coming to check me and tipping me. You really should. It's for a good cause. I'm saving up for a decent coat, which really, I should be wearing already. Right now I'm just getting by by cocooning myself in several sweaters and shawls.

Speaking of which, today was really biting but this great Greek lady in my 'Writing for the Internet' class says she'll give me a ride home every Friday since it's on the way. She's either really friendly or just pitied me because I was sort of vibrating with jitters in my tshirt and open plaid shirt. Yeah, I tend to dress by mood. My friends always shake their heads at me. But I DID bring along a hoodie.

Before class I met up with some of my friends at Bede (one of the dorms) where we breakfasted on Sake and cookies. We bullshitted around and watched a couple of the finer scenes from Stephen King's 'IT' (a childhood favourite), then we planned to have a Japanese Horror Film sleepover on Sunday, and get just about smashed enough on boxed wine from ASDA, so we could go to our 'Developing the Novel' lecture the next day in an amazingly ruffled and hungover state. Such drinking habits are usually a common occurrence with me and a few of the others, but I think it more has to do with the fact that our lecturers this year are mind-numbingly dull so we must amuse ourselves before class in order to stick it out the full 3 hours. Regardless, Michael has the best ideas.

Speaking of mind-numbingly dull (don't you just love my tangents?) our 'Writing for the Internet' lecturer has such a voice. But the class was interesting, even without the bellyful of sake. My homework on an erotic museum was put on display for one of the lesson examples.

And in other erotic news, I found out that my awesome friend Emily, who's in the class, is like some sort of naturist and does lots of naturist jobs at like fetish clubs and such. It's awesome. She's performing at Torture Garden tomorrow night and told me I should come. And that is TOTALLY the kind of thing I'm looking into this year (that being Fetish clubs and alternative culture etc.) but the tickets are a bit steep and I'm already going to be drinking tonight and Sunday. Poo. Next time.

Anyway, I've got an unopened copy of the September Elle (yeah, a bit behind) to read and some madeleines to eat. Have a spectacular weekend everyone!

No comments: